Monday, March 9, 2015

Robot & Frank



Stop what you're doing and watch this film. This movie sat on my Netflix queue forever. It got great reviews. Netflix said I would love it, but I always seemed to find something else to watch. I'm sorry that I didn't watch it sooner. This wonderful film, brilliantly acted by Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon, and Liv Tyler, is about family and the inevitable changes we go through when we grow old.
Set in the near future, this film follows the title characters as an awkward but powerful friendship develops between them. At first, Frank wants nothing to do with robot, a service robot purchased by his son to monitor his health and every move. Technology has distanced him from everything. His children only connect with him through tv screens. Even his last oasis, the library, has been bought by quirky 30 somethings and is being changed to a social gathering place where people can have a 'library experience', minus the books. Yeah, I don't get it either. The only thing he feels connected to is the mechanical nurse who is devoted to making sure he is healthy and happy. He soon realizes that robot can help him get back all the things he's lost and give his life meaning again.
The screenplay is excellent. The cinematography is beautiful. The music sets the tone in every scene. I can't stop raving about this movie. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me want to watch it again and again. I couldn't wish for more from this movie. I can only wish for more of this kind of movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment